LD Debater!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LD Debater!

A forum for high school Lincoln-Douglas debate.

3 posters

Why do people go to this tournament?

JohnnyFontane
    Elimination Rounds
    Elimination Rounds

Why do people go to this tournament? Empty Why do people go to this tournament?

Post  JohnnyFontane Mon May 18, 2009 1:08 pm

Someone recently raised the question on Victory Briefs asking why people waste their money on the CFL Grand National. I kind of agree. Aside from the fact that all trips are expensive, it doesn't seem like CFL really brings anything to the table.

Most of the good debaters don't go. It includes fewer districts than the NFL (so it can't say "we are the national championship due to our representation of debate on the national level"). Worst of all the judging always sucks.

What motivates debaters to attend this tournament in light of these recurring issues?
    Old
    Debate Fanatic
    Debate Fanatic

Why do people go to this tournament? Empty Re: Why do people go to this tournament?

Post  Old Mon May 18, 2009 3:08 pm

I would guess one's coach could convince one to go. There is a lot of hype about nationals too, but the judging still apparently sucks.
    Volk23
    Volk23

Why do people go to this tournament? Empty Re: Why do people go to this tournament?

Post  Volk23 Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:29 am

Judging at Nats definitely didn't suck this year. With the exception of I'd say one judge, all of my judges flowed and made logical decisions. There weren't any mommy/daddy "you had a nice tie" RFDs, and judging was even better in out rounds.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:52 pm