LD Debater!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LD Debater!

A forum for high school Lincoln-Douglas debate.

4 posters

Best Justifications?

JohnnyFontane
    Elimination Rounds
    Elimination Rounds

Best Justifications? Empty Best Justifications?

Post  JohnnyFontane Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:40 pm

Can someone explain what the "best justifications" philosophy to LD is? How does it differ from comparing worlds/truth testing? Why should we prefer it over the others?
    W. Marble
    Dedicated Minion
    Dedicated Minion

Best Justifications? Empty Re: Best Justifications?

Post  W. Marble Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:22 pm

JohnnyFontane wrote:Can someone explain what the "best justifications" philosophy to LD is? How does it differ from comparing worlds/truth testing? Why should we prefer it over the others?
    http://victorybriefsdaily.com/2008/04/15/truth-comparison-and-justification-in-ld-debate/
    I'm no expert on it (I haven't read the article in a while), but I think it's more closely related to truth testing than anything.
    Alex Bennett
    Alex Bennett
    Dedicated Minion
    Dedicated Minion

Post  Alex Bennett Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:53 am

As far as I know, its an attempt to solve the supposed theoretical problems with truth testing comparatvists have with.
    JamesM

Post  JamesM Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:45 am

As far as I know, theoretical problems should be solved with theory. There is nothing inherently theoretically illegitimate about the offense/defense model, people just dont apply it correctly. The model proposed by this article is extremely vague and not nearly comprehensive enough. The only way to really address the 'problems' we are seeing in LD debates is by:
    1. moving away from the value/criterion to something more like the offense/defense paradigm
    2. changing the resolution so it reflects that model

This doesnt mean we have to use tubs. NFA has developed a very successful form of college LD debate, which our community could learn from. If we want more substance, better evidence, less theory, and more aff ballots, drastic changes need to be made.
    JohnnyFontane
    Elimination Rounds
    Elimination Rounds

Post  JohnnyFontane Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:58 am

How exactly has NFA solved these problems with its structure? I am not very familiar with that style of debate, but how are the resolutions drastically different than ours?
    JamesM

Post  JamesM Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:40 am

NFA LD is extremely simple. It is a persuasive one person-style traditional policy debate (i.e., a debate centered around stock issues). It has the exact same speech times as high school LD with different rules. The resolutions are framed similar to policy, for example last years topic was: "Resolved: The United States Federal Government should substantially increase its constructive engagement with Cuba."

This video was done on a topic a few years ago about the greater horn of Africa, its interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU974fZQ_h4

The model clearly has its benefits and flaws. One thing that I like about NFA LD is that the rules are very simple and easily accessable to the community. What is problematic, though, is that NFA literally has a rule that says you arent allowed to talk too fast, lest you get voted down, even if you 'technically' win the debate. There are also some biases to certain types of kritik literature- I am not a fan of this. Indeed, Im not saying we should use their precise model of debate, rather that we should develop something similar to it. Or, rather, at least consider it the next time someone tries to come up with the next best way to judge an LD debate.

Here is a link to the rules for NFA LD if anyone is interested, http://cas.bethel.edu/dept/comm/nfa/ldrules.html
    JohnnyFontane
    Elimination Rounds
    Elimination Rounds

Post  JohnnyFontane Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:17 am

The rule stuff is interesting. I mean, even in that video you posted, they are both talking pretty briskly. Not policy debate, but it is faster than a "traditional LD debate," right? How do they interpret rules like "speed is banned"?
    JamesM

Post  JamesM Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:34 am

You're right they are talking briskly. Compared to most policy rounds at the NDT, however, this is quite slow. But you're right, it seems impossible to really enforce that rule. And as far as I know, the way it works is that all judges are encouraged to drop a debater for spreading; if they dont vote accordingly, they get reported to the tournament director and pulled from the tournament. Once again, though, this is a bad rule. Speed increases critical thinking and education, it is very important for the activity.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 5:13 am