LD Debater!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LD Debater!

A forum for high school Lincoln-Douglas debate.

4 posters

Lacan in LD rounds?

Db8rBoi
    Db8rBoi
    Elimination Rounds
    Elimination Rounds

Lacan in LD rounds? Empty Lacan in LD rounds?

Post  Db8rBoi Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:24 pm

Do people run Lacan in LD rounds? Generally, other than using Zizek evidence, how is psychoanalysis used to affirm or negate?
    poneill
    Elimination Rounds
    Elimination Rounds

Lacan in LD rounds? Empty Re: Lacan in LD rounds?

Post  poneill Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:39 pm

Db8rBoi wrote:Do people run Lacan in LD rounds? Generally, other than using Zizek evidence, how is psychoanalysis used to affirm or negate?

I've seen it, generally it applies as more of a framework thing. I've never seen it run well, though.
    Volk23
    Volk23

Post  Volk23 Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:01 am

Philosophy gets tricky and often subjective when psychoanalysis is brought into the equation. If one were to, for example, read a lot of Kant, a lot of the stuff he says is basic, but when psychology is brought into the equation, his views become harder for some to comprehend. Personally, I wouldn't use someone like Lacan in a round, just because I don't want a muddled debate.
    JamesM

Post  JamesM Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:00 am

It is very difficult to cut lacan in LD (or for debate in general). Not only is the rhetoric very dense and designed to appeal to a specific kind of academic audience, but Lacan is a psychoanalyist, he doesnt talk about politics he interprets human behavior. Authors write about shit he has theorized and use that to further understand and analyze the world. Tou are definitely best suited if you cut arguments written by lacanian scholars. Read as many books/cards by zizek and yannis starvakakis as you can because they provide quality insight on the application of lacanian theory to politics and society.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:48 am