LD Debater!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LD Debater!

A forum for high school Lincoln-Douglas debate.

is this right?

gideongi

is this right? Empty is this right?

Post  gideongi Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:28 am

Negative Start:

1) “If a student spends 13 years in school and doesn't learn basic math, English, history and science, should he/she get a high school diploma? Should he/she sue? States are facing these questions as they grapple with what seems a simple requirement: asking graduating seniors to pass exit exams in core subjects.” By Greg Toppo, USA TODAY

2) Because I agree with the words of Greg Toppo, I negate the resolution which states: “Resolved: Public High School students in the United States ought not to be required to pass standardized exit exams to graduate”

3) In Today’s round the following definitions are key in framing the clash round:
    Public High School:
    Required:
    Ought:
    Standardized exit exams:

4) My value for this round will be “Quality of the Future”. This value relates to the resolution because the resolution again states; Public High School students in the United States ought not to be required to pass standardized exit exams to graduate. Well I say they should have to pass the standardized exit exams because the following contentions.

5) Contention One: Exit Exams Strengthen Curriculum and Teaching.
    The exit exams strengthen the curriculum and teaching because the students have to be provided the knowledge in the class work, before they can even study to pass this test, most schools would be frowned upon if an over occurrence of students fail the standardized exit exams, or fail a certain subject on the standardized exit exams. The school would be frowned upon and then the teacher who teaches the subject would be put on probation or on suspension due to them not teaching and doing their jobs.
    Sub-point A= Exit Exams increase curriculum alignment and focus;
    According to Susan Emaegwali, October 2004, A report on CEP [Center in Education Policy] found that the No Children Left Behind Act has had a significant impact on the performance goals and content of exit exams. And most states are using the tests to comply with the high school testing requirements of the federal legislation. The exams appear to be positively influencing curriculum content and instruction leading to greater curriculum alignment and focus within districts and schools, according to CEP.

Sub-point B= Exit Exams Increase Teaching/Curriculum Coordination
    September 2005, A new report from the CEP finds that high school exit exams have had a “noticeable impact” leading o significant changes in instructional content and methods, allocation of resources, staffing patterns and climates. The report; How Have High School Exams Changed Our Schools? Some Perspectives for Virginia and Maryland, is part if CEP’s multiyear nation study of state exit examination policies and is based on extensive interviews with students, Teachers, and administrators. According to the report, benefits of the exams- which the CEP notes will be mandatory for roughly seven in 10 high school students nationwide by 2009—include greater focus on student performance, increased teacher cooperation, and closer ties between instruction and curriculum.

6) Contention Two: Exit Exams prepare students for college.
    gideongi

is this right? Empty Re: is this right?

Post  gideongi Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:01 am

Negative Debate(:

“If a student spends 13 years in school and doesn't learn basic math, English, history and science, should he/she get a high school diploma? Should he/she sue? States are facing these questions as they grapple with what seems to be simple requirement: asking graduating seniors to pass exit exams in core subjects.”
    ~By Greg Toppo, USA TODAY, 10-29-2007

Because I agree with the words of Greg Toppo, I negate the resolution which states: “Resolved; Public High School students in the United States ought not to be required to pass standardized exit exams to graduate”

In Today’s round the following definitions are key in framing the clash round:
    Public High School:
    Required:
    Ought:
    Standardized:
    Exit Exams:

My value for this round will be “Quality of the Future”. This value relates to the resolution because; Exit Exams prepare students for college, strengthen curriculum and teaching, also the cost of exit exams don’t outweigh the benefits that come from the exams. Well I say they should have to pass the standardized exit exams because the following criteria. I think all students should be required to pass standardized exit exams, because it better prepares them for college, for one thing in college you have to take finals, and end of course exams. This is one more test to get used to taking tests, to better prepare you for your future.

Contention One: Exit Exams Strengthen Curriculum and Teaching.
    The exit exams strengthen the curriculum and teaching because the students have to be provided the knowledge in the class work, before they can even study to pass this test, most schools would be frowned upon if an over abundance of students fail the standardized exit exams, or fail a certain subject on the standardized exit exams. The school would be frowned upon and then the teacher who teaches the subject would be put on probation or on suspension due to them not teaching and doing their jobs.

Sub-point A= Exit Exams increase curriculum alignment and focus;
    According to Susan Emaegwali, October 2004, A report on CEP [Center in Education Policy] found that the No Children Left Behind Act has had a significant impact on the performance goals and content of exit exams. And most states are using the tests to comply with the high school testing requirements of the federal legislation. The exams appear to be positively influencing curriculum content and instruction leading to greater curriculum alignment and focus within districts and schools, according to CEP.
    With having Exit Exams not only the teachers have to teach the subject but the students have to listen. The students have to pay attention enough to where they can pass the exams at the end of their senior year or graduating year. I like the idea of exit exams because it not only tells you which classes need covered more, but also tells you who barely passes their high school years. With my 1st contention it’s stating how adding exit exams help the schools, teachers, and students with determining which subjects need more coverage, and which are covered enough.

Contention Two: Exit Exams prepare students for college.
    Exit Exams do prepare high school students for college, while they are still in high school so they kind of get the experience they will need before college life.

Sub- point A= Exit Exams can Reduce Need For Remediation.
    Melissa Roderick, spring 2009—Even with low standards, high school exit examinations may indicate whether students have accumulated enough basic proficiency skills to gain access to a four-year college. There is some evidence that focusing on basic skills is important in reducing the likelihood of college remediation. For example; more than 41% of high school graduates with senior-year test scores in the lowest test quintile in the National Education Longitudinal Study of 1988 who attended college were placed in remedial reading in college compared with only 19.2% of students in the next-to-lowest quintile and only 10% of students in the third quintile. The finding would suggest that if states can identify the lowest-performing students and intervene, they can increase the rates of college readiness of their graduates as measured by meeting the criterion of enrolling in credit-bearing courses.

While some exit exams do help the high school students, it doesn’t help others. Like I said in sub-point a, it did help determine which subjects needed help in and which needed more coverage, and in the University or Oregon it seems to be all the core classes.

Contention Three: Costs if exit exams don’t outweigh benefits.
    The use of exit exams continues to be widespread. According to Robert Springer, David Pugalee, and Bob Algozzine, in September- October 2007. Twenty-six states have implemented or plan to implement mandatory assessment programs that will require students to demonstrate competency in mathematics and although not requiring an exit exam, allow individual districts the option to implement such requirements. Twenty-two states that do not have exit exams require specific mathematics tests as part of accountability plan.
    According to John Warren and Rachael Kulick in September 2007, about half of U.S. states now require students to pass high school exit examinations in order to obtain a high school diploma, more than two thirds of high school students are now affected by these policies. High School Exit Exams [HSEE’s] typically include multiple choice tests of reading and mathematic skills, although some states also include writing and/or other assessments. HSEEs are administered some time between 6th and 11th grades, depending on the state, and range in difficulty from “basic skills” test to tests that require knowledge and skills that are developed later in high school.
    I would most definitely have to say exit exams help students more than exit exams hurt them. The benefits of the exams do outweigh the cost big time. Exit exams prepare students for college, exit exams help determine which core classes you need help on before college, and exit exams help schools figure out which core classes they need to strengthen curriculum on.

In conclusion; Exit Exams prepare students for college, strengthen curriculum and teaching, also the cost of exit exams don’t outweigh the benefits that come from the exams. Exit Exams are needed more to help better prepare students for college and for the quality of the future. Exit Exams help your future because with exit exams they help you be better prepared for college or any major tests you might have in your future, maybe even job interviews. Exit Exams are needed for High School Students in the United States. I would urge for a negative ballot. Thank You.

Affirmative Debate(:
    “If a student spends 13 years in school and doesn't learn basic math, English, history and science, should he/she get a high school diploma? Should he/she sue? States are facing these questions as they grapple with what seems to be simple requirement: asking graduating seniors to pass exit exams in core subjects.”
    ~By Greg Toppo, USA TODAY

Because I agree with the words of Greg Toppo, I affirm the resolution which states: “Resolved; Public High School students in the United States ought not to be required to pass standardized exit exams to graduate”
    In Today’s round the following definitions are key in framing the clash round:
    Public High School:
    Required:
    Ought:
    Standardized:
    Exit Exams:
    My value for this round will be “Quality of the Future”. This value relates to the resolution because;

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:04 pm