LD Debater!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LD Debater!

A forum for high school Lincoln-Douglas debate.

3 posters

What happened to disclosure?

Db8rBoi
    Db8rBoi
    Elimination Rounds
    Elimination Rounds

What happened to disclosure? Empty What happened to disclosure?

Post  Db8rBoi Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:09 pm

This might seem like a lost cause, but I am interested in the issue. Before the start of this season, a number of coaches and debaters discussed and argued (primarily on VBD) in support of creating a new culture of case disclosure in LD. Though this has become a common practice with our policy friends, it seems like the "case disclosure movement" has been a failure so far. I know the NDCA created a wiki for intelligence gathering, but that site apparently did not survive even the first topic of the season.

Now that the regular season is close to over, should we reconsider the issue of disclosure? I know that some suggested before that individuals post what they have run on January-February in order to give all competitors at the TOC a fair shot to prepare.
    snackies

What happened to disclosure? Empty Re: What happened to disclosure?

Post  snackies Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:54 am

it unfortunatly never came up in LD, whenever I judge rounds I disclose, but I find there are a ton of judges that would never disclose under any circumstances. Then they claim that there RFD will explain it but it is always better verbally. If people can ask questiosn and have a win or a loss explained it actually improves how they debate
    Db8rBoi
    Db8rBoi
    Elimination Rounds
    Elimination Rounds

Post  Db8rBoi Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Snackies

I think we are talking about different points. When I said "disclosure", I meant the voluntary exchange of information about previously used cases over the internet (i.e. the wiki used for high school and college policy debate). Although I agree that disclosing after rounds is probably fair/educational, that really wasn't what I was getting after. Am I mistaken?
    poneill
    Elimination Rounds
    Elimination Rounds

Post  poneill Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:28 pm

I said it last year and it didn't turn out, but I think I'm gonna try and see if I can set one up for the blake tournament next year. It might take a bit of work to figure out how to enforce it, but we'll see.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content