LD Debater!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LD Debater!

A forum for high school Lincoln-Douglas debate.

5 posters

National Debate Rankings?

Db8rBoi
    Db8rBoi
    Elimination Rounds
    Elimination Rounds

National Debate Rankings? Empty National Debate Rankings?

Post  Db8rBoi Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:17 pm

This is kind of another issue that dropped off of the face of the debate community. I remember last year that a bunch of people tried to brainstorm a new system of ranking debaters. Can we get that discussion started again? I think that having a system in place is kind of cool, and now there is a lot of time for someone to compile results and figure out who ranks where before TOC.
    mhassin
    mhassin

National Debate Rankings? Empty Re: National Debate Rankings?

Post  mhassin Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:32 pm

i think quinn's old site (toc scoreboard?) had a point system going at the start of the season but it died for some reason. i'm for a new ranking system
    poneill
    Elimination Rounds
    Elimination Rounds

Post  poneill Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:08 pm

Db8rBoi wrote:This is kind of another issue that dropped off of the face of the debate community. I remember last year that a bunch of people tried to brainstorm a new system of ranking debaters. Can we get that discussion started again? I think that having a system in place is kind of cool, and now there is a lot of time for someone to compile results and figure out who ranks where before TOC.

The NDCA point system is a start. Granted, it's not perfect (strength of pool has no weight whatsoever, so if I get to finals of a tournament with 200 kids from 10 states, this is better than say dropping in Octas of Greenhill, even though the theoretical tournament probably does not have quite as deep of a pool), but it's definitely a good start
    JohnnyFontane
    Elimination Rounds
    Elimination Rounds

Post  JohnnyFontane Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:36 pm

How does the NDCA system work exactly?

I thought the NDCA ranking was used to determine who can come to the association's national tournament rather than a way to decide who the best debater in the country is.
    poneill
    Elimination Rounds
    Elimination Rounds

Post  poneill Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:22 pm

JohnnyFontane wrote:How does the NDCA system work exactly?

I thought the NDCA ranking was used to determine who can come to the association's national tournament rather than a way to decide who the best debater in the country is.

It's like win pct times Diversity tournament multiplier (number of states condensed to a smaller number) times value from the number of people in the pool times outround success multiplier (which is also contingent on the DTM). It's the way to qual to their tourney, but i guess it could be used to determine the best debater in the nation.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:56 pm

I think this is an interesting discussion. In fact, I tried to implement my own ranking system earlier this year. To see how it was calculated, you can read my explanation here: http://circuitdebater.blogspot.com/2008/08/new-feature-circuit-debater-rankings.html

The issue was that too much weight was given the mere tournament attendance. Solid performing debaters were frequently ranked lower than unsuccessful debaters who had been to one or two more tournaments. Although it required a lot of work, I think this was a step in the right direction. At least I now know another way not to try to rank debaters.

Nevertheless, I would be more than happy to experiment with a new system. If anyone has any suggestions, I would certainly listen to them.

CD

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 pm