LD Debater!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LD Debater!

A forum for high school Lincoln-Douglas debate.

3 posters

Nation specific?

Db8rBoi
    Db8rBoi
    Elimination Rounds
    Elimination Rounds

Nation specific? Empty Nation specific?

Post  Db8rBoi Mon May 11, 2009 4:38 pm

Could an AC, theoretically, pick a nation (i.e. the US), and then explain disadvantages/advantages of rejecting conscription in that scenario? Would NFL judges me open to that type of interpretation debate?
    JohnnyFontane
    Elimination Rounds
    Elimination Rounds

Nation specific? Empty Re: Nation specific?

Post  JohnnyFontane Tue May 12, 2009 3:18 pm

a. I think that most of the judges at this tournament will expect a straight-up interpretation of the topic

b. The topic clearly is not applied to a specific nation. If the writers really wanted a topic about US military policy, I am sure they would have stuck "United States" in there like they do on a lot of other topics.

For both reasons I think that your interpretation is not strategic at NFLs.
    Volk23
    Volk23

Post  Volk23 Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:06 am

My experience that anyone who limited the debate ended up having a rough time defending their case. HOWEVER,

I hit Cherry Creek's Stephen Lurie in Round 9 (he was undefeated in those out rounds for a long time....) and, as the Neg, he limited the draft to only a democracy. I lost on a 2-1 split. I personally disagree with doing something like that because it's a conditional stance, but it worked out for him.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 7:55 am